We have long history of providing extraordinary care and innovation for babies, children and expectant mothers from our community and beyond.
Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford traces its roots to the Stanford Home for Convalescent Children, which was established in 1919 to care for children with long-term illnesses such as polio, tuberculosis and rheumatic fever. In 1986, David and Lucile Packard generously donated $40 million to construct a new children's hospital devoted to the care of children and expectant mothers. The hospital opened in 1991 and was named in memory of our visionary, Lucile Salter Packard, who died in 1987. Today, Stanford Children’s Health honors her vision through our dedication in delivering innovative services and unparalleled family-centered care.
- 1919 – Stanford Home for Convalescent Children is founded to provide a place for children with chronic illnesses to receive care.
- 1959 – Stanford University Medical Center opens a 420-bed facility in Palo Alto, moving from San Francisco. The “Con Home” strengthens its teaching and research ties to the medical center and begins providing care for more seriously ill children.
- 1969 – The $5 million, 60-bed Children’s Hospital at Stanford opens, replacing the Stanford Home for Convalescent Children, and further expanding its roles in teaching and research.
- 1986 – David and Lucile Packard donate $40 million to begin construction on a new children’s hospital.
- 1991 – Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford officially opens its doors to the community.
- 2012 – Groundbreaking event is held to announce the beginning of construction on the children’s hospital of the future.
- 2016 – The new children’s hospital will nearly double in size to a 814,000 square foot facility that will be surrounded by 3.5 acres of healing gardens and green space.