Parent Mentor Program
The Parent Mentor program is a Family-Centered Care service. It matches parents of children who are being cared for at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital with trained, veteran parents.
Parent mentors are effective managers of their own child’s health care. They are trained to provide support, modeling, suggestions and validation to parents who are building their own partnerships with their child’s health care team.
Mentors may talk with families about:
- Coordinating family life during hospitalization
- Obtaining and managing information during hospitalization
- A parent’s role in the discharge process
- Parenting in a hospital setting
- Managing medical care at home
- Helping your child with (painful) procedures
Parents can talk at the bedside, during clinic visits or over the phone. All parent mentor visits are coordinated and supervised by hospital social workers.
Parent mentors are available for parents of children treated in the programs below. Please click a program link to learn more:
- Children’s Heart Center
- Liver and Intestinal Transplant
- Antepartum and Neonatology (Johnson Center for Pregnancy and Newborn Services)
- Oncology (Bass Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Diseases)