At Stanford Children’s Health, we nurture the whole patient and family. We understand that supporting your emotional and social needs is essential to you and your child’s physical well-being.
We’re Here For You
Providing family-centered care means partnering with you as a member of the care team and getting to know your child’s and your family’s unique needs and preferences. This way, we’re also able to provide any additional support your family may need, such as resource assistance, care coordination, education—or just a friend to talk to. We work closely with you to develop individualized care and plans that meet health, developmental and emotional needs.
Across the Stanford Children’s Health network, our teams help in many ways, such as:
- Providing counseling to help patients and caregivers manage life changes associated with hospitalization and/or a medical condition
- Providing crisis intervention and support
- Helping patients and caregivers understand the patient’s illness and treatment plan
- Helping the patient’s siblings and other family members adjust to the patient’s illness and/or hospitalization
- Helping address language and cultural needs by working closely with Interpreter Services to provide support in your first language
- Planning and facilitating patient care conferences between your family and the medical team to make treatment decisions
- Educating your family about access to health care, hospital and network resources
- Providing referrals to community agencies that offer financial, insurance, legal and mental health services and other practical needs
Contact a Social Worker
Most of our medical services have dedicated social workers. Patients who use those services will be partnered with a social worker.
If you prefer, you can request a social worker by asking a nurse or member of the medical team to make a referral.
If you have any questions about how to speak with a social worker, please call our main office at (650) 497-8303. Social workers are available at the hospital Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm and Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 5pm.