For Referring Physicians
The Fetal and Pregnancy Health Services team works closely with referring providers to develop the best course of care for the expectant mother, baby and family. We provide complete services for each patient, including:
- Clarification of a diagnosis
- Coordination of prenatal and subsequent pediatric care
- Consistent communication with you about fetal and maternal findings
- Delivery at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford, if needed
Collaborative Consultations on Your Patient
In some cases, patients are referred to clarify a fetal finding, and to allow for collaboration with maternal-fetal medicine and pediatric subspecialists on management and delivery plans.
- Our Perinatal Diagnostic Centers can provide ongoing follow-up with level 2 ultrasound, diagnostics testing, genetic counseling, or input from a maternal-fetal medicine specialist closer to home.
- Your patient will likely be able to deliver at your home hospital if the baby will not require immediate intensive care or intervention. Even if the baby will require some specialized care after delivery, we may coordinate with one of our Johnson Center nurseries throughout the greater Bay Area to allow your patient to deliver close to home.
Some women may need to deliver at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford because the fetal condition necessitates a complex delivery, immediate post-delivery intensive care, surgery, or other therapeutic procedures.
- Many expectant mothers continue to receive care throughout their pregnancy from their own obstetrician.
- As the delivery date approaches, care is transferred to the Packard Children’s Hospital maternal-fetal medicine team. Transfer of care may be indicated earlier in more severe cases.
- If your patient needs to deliver at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford, you will receive follow-up communications from our neonatology team about the baby’s hospital course.
Single Point of Contact for You and Your Patient
We provide a single point of contact to coordinate:
- Advanced fetal imaging studies, such as fetal MRI
- Pediatric specialty referrals for counseling and planning
- Evaluation for specialized fetal interventions
- Open and ongoing communication
As your patient’s primary health care provider, you can expect that:
- We will let you know about your patient’s schedule of our subspecialty consults and appointments. We will communicate with you via your preferred method of communication.
- You will receive information and updates from members of our team about ongoing plans and findings.
Register for the MD Portal to refer your patient, access patient and clinical information and follow your patient’s progress online. You may also download our referral form and fax to us at (650) 721-2884.
We look forward to working with you to provide the highest quality of care to your patients and their families. We invite you to call us anytime at (650) 724-2221 to discuss your patient.