When it’s time to leave the hospital with your baby, we’ll help you and your new family member(s) prepare for a smooth departure. During your pregnancy, you and your partner can also prepare for life at home with your baby in our Bringing Baby Home class.
Our team works together with you to plan your discharge and your desired time to leave the hospital for home. To do so, we make sure that all of your and your baby’s medical needs are met, including any test results, and that your baby is feeding well. When you are ready to leave, a member of our staff will escort you to the hospital exit to ensure that you and your little one embark safely and smoothly.
There are a few tasks that need to be completed before you and your baby leave the hospital.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Arrange for a ride home
- Ensure you have a car seat for the ride home, and know how to properly install and use it. If possible, please try to complete this before you arrive at the hospital to have your baby.
- Complete and sign your baby’s birth certificate
Here’s what our maternity staff will do:
- Complete your baby’s hearing screening
- Complete your baby’s California Newborn Screening
- Give your baby the hepatitis B vaccine, if you have given consent
- Measure the amount of bilirubin in your baby’s blood.
- Order prescriptions, if necessary
- Schedule follow-up appointments
- Gather information for the birth certificate and paternity papers (if needed)
- Remove your baby’s identification bands and infant security tag
- Complete your discharge education. We will make sure you know how to take care of yourself and your baby at home, and whom to contact with questions.