In our maternity unit at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford, we provide nurturing care for new mothers and their babies, and for women who require hospitalization during pregnancy. We support you and your family as you welcome your new baby and prepare for your new life together.
Post-Delivery Care Tailored to Meet Your and Your Baby’s Needs
Our staff partners with you and your family to provide a family-centered environment. We work closely with your obstetrician to provide you and your baby with the services you need.
- Care that meets your individual needs
- Answers to your questions and help for you and your new baby
- Support for keeping your baby at your bedside to promote bonding
Our team members include:
- Nurses experienced in caring for new mothers and babies. They are also specially trained in breastfeeding techniques.
- Breastfeeding Support
- Social workers
- Spiritual Care
- Interpreter Services
We provide quick, 24-hour access to pediatric hospitalists, high-risk obstetricians, anesthesiologists, neonatologists and a full range of pediatric services should you or your baby require specialty care. We are right down the hall from Stanford Hospital & Clinics and can easily provide access to their adult specialists.
Close to Your Baby at All Times
We are the only children's hospital in the local area—and one of the few in the country—to offer obstetric, delivery and newborn services all in one place. Whether your baby stays in your room with you, goes to the Well Baby Nursery, or one of you requires more specialized care, the two of you are always in the same building.
We encourage you and your baby to participate in Couplet Care, in which your baby stays at your bedside if there are no medical issues. You and your baby benefit dramatically by remaining as close as possible after birth. Together, you can enjoy:
- Optimal mother-infant bonding
- Personalized care
- Hands-on patient teaching
- Lactation initiation and breastfeeding
You always have the option of placing your baby in our Well Baby Nursery (as space allows) for all or part of your stay. You are welcome to change your choice of Couplet Care or Well Baby Nursery care at any time.
Our Maternity Unit has 52 beds that are in a mix of private rooms and semi-private rooms, based on medical necessity and availability. All rooms feature:
- Free wireless Internet access for your laptop or mobile device
- Flat-screen televisions
- Select cable TV channels
- On-demand movies
- Storage space for your belongings
- A place for your partner to rest
We welcome your visitors and ask that they follow the Maternity Unit’s Visiting Guidelines.
Room Service Meals
We provide delicious, personalized room service at every meal. You can call to place an order from our full menu. We’ll freshly prepare your meal according to your order, and deliver it to your bedside. A daily afternoon tea and snacks are also served to you and your partner. You are also welcome to store food or drinks from home in our unit’s patient refrigerators.
What to Expect
Your medical team will visit you and your baby throughout the day so we can address any medical needs or questions you may have.
- Daily medical rounds. Your health care team will come and check on you as needed.
- Nursing shift changes. Our nurses change shifts at 7 am and 7 pm. Each new nurse will come to talk to you, answer your questions, and conduct a physical assessment on both you and your baby.
- Pain management is an important aspect of our care. Your health care team will assess your pain management needs and develop an individualized plan, as needed.
- Pediatrician. The pediatrician you select will visit you and your baby daily. If you have not selected a pediatrician, a Packard Children’s Hospital pediatrician will visit.