Labor and Delivery Care
With your birth plan as our guide, our Labor and Delivery teams are here to help make your baby’s birth the experience you want it to be. We’ll work closely with you to support your choices, such as un-medicated or medicated labor and the use of birthing balls, music and other relaxation aids. We strive for a vaginal delivery and only recommend a C-section if your health or your baby’s health is at risk. As a result, our C-section rates are lower than the national average and the lowest in the San Francisco Bay Area/Peninsula.
In our Labor and Delivery, you can expect:
Private rooms for all patients. Every patient has a private room designed to take you through labor, delivery and immediate recovery.
Support for your birth plan. Our team partners with you to support your birth plan choices, including:
- Having an unmedicated or medicated labor
- Having a support person, family members, or friends present at your delivery
- Skin-to-skin bonding time immediately after delivery
- Breastfeeding support
- Donating cord blood
Comfort management during labor available 24 hours a day. For women who desire a medicated labor or require a C-section, our obstetric anesthesia service is always available in Labor and Delivery. Our obstetric anesthesiologists have undergone additional, specialized training to provide comfort for women during childbirth.
Immediate access to specialty care. The majority of mothers who deliver here have healthy pregnancies and uncomplicated deliveries. However, if additional care is required for you or your baby:
- Our High-Risk Obstetrics team specializes in providing the most advanced, nurturing care for complex health problems
- Our Neonatology team provides nationally-recognized care for newborn babies with critical or special care needs
Stanford Medicine pediatric specialists at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford and adult specialists at Stanford Hospital & Clinics can be easily accessed if needed.