After a Burn: When to Call Your Child's Healthcare Provider

It is important to contact your child's healthcare provider in the following situations:

  • If your child is not eating or drinking well

  • If there is antisocial or disruptive behavior at home or school

  • If there are signs of infection (healing burn areas change and become red, warm, swollen, extremely tender, or have a foul odor)

  • If there is uncontrollable itching

  • If the scar cracks open or splits

  • If the tissues around a joint tighten and the joint loses mobility (contracture)

  • If the burn is on an arm or leg and the child has trouble moving that limb and thee affected fingers or toes

  • If there is excessive swelling in the injured area

  • If your child's temperature is greater than 101.5° F (38.6° C) rectally or orally

  • If it seems that the dressing changes are painful for your child (you may want to discuss pain medicine with your healthcare provider)